International > Frequently Asked Questions

Is it possible for students to take subjects at more than one level?
Yes. Students can take subjects at the level most suited to their ability and previous studies. For example International Students may be capable of doing mathematics at a level ahead of their other subjects, as mathematics involves less language than most other subjects.

Is ESOL tuition included in the tuition fee?
Yes there is no further payment required for ESOL tuition.

Can International Students take music lessons?
Yes, International Students can become members of one of our many music groups and receive tuition on musical instruments.

Do International Students have the opportunity to play sport at school?
Yes, many of our International Students are members of sports teams. Students find that playing sports is a good way of getting to know local students and involving themselves in a wider range of activities.

Access to individual sports depends on the season eg. Tennis is played in summer, Terms 1 & 4. Football is played in winter, Terms 2 & 3. For competitive teams students need to arrive when teams are being selected. Term 1 is the best arrival time to ensure access to a team.

Is it compulsory for International Students to have Travel Insurance?
Yes, International Students must have appropriate and current medical and travel insurance while studying in New Zealand. On arrival you will be asked to produce proof of a policy covering the entire period of your stay.

Can Student visas in New Zealand be extended for a second or subsequent year?
International Students are offered places for one year at a time. The school will provide the necessary documentation to extend their student visa if they are accepted for the following year should they wish to continue studying at Epsom Girls Grammar School.

What should I do if I am unhappy or dissatisfied with any aspect of my education?
Students who have concerns about any aspects of their education should immediately speak to the International Student Dean. If the problem is not resolved at this stage the student should discuss the concern with the Deputy Principal who is responsible for International Students.

International Students who are not satisfied by the service that they receive from Epsom Girls Grammar School are able to contact the independent International Education Appeal Authority, who will recommend action that must be binding on the student and the school.

Am I able to work while on a student visa?
New Zealand Visa regulations state that Year 12 and 13 International Students may apply to work up to 20 hours in any given week.

All students who wish to work must submit the following documents to the International Student Dean:

  • A completed Application for Variation of Conditions form (NZIS)
  • A letter from your parents giving permission to work

Please note that consideration will be given to your study records before permission is granted. International Students undertaking a course of 12 months or more may apply to work full-time over the summer holidays. However, it is our school's belief that all students are better advised to be with their own families over the long summer vacation.





About Us | Curriculum | Co-Curricular | Enrolments | International | Events/News | OGA | Development | Epsom House | Contact Us | Home
Browser Compatibility| Site Credits